• Panorama-Orvieto-inverno.jpg
  • Panorama-Orvieto-Porta-Romana.jpg
  • Panorama_Orvieto-roccaripesena.jpg
  • Tetti-Orvieto-duomo.jpg
  • Vigneti-Allerona-Poggio-del-Lupo-Orvieto.jpg
 E-mail

 

The Village of Allerona

 

Agricultural center near Orvieto, Allerona is nestled in the hills covered with forests of beech, holly and juniper. The origins are similar to those of nearby Orvieto, and there are architectural remains from Roman times, with archaeological remains in the immediate vicinity of the village, including remnants of ancient Cassia (between Orvieto and Ficulle) and stones with Roman inscriptions on Trajan's new.

Also visible are the ruins of the castle di Meana, the seat of the barony of the same name, a fort, known as "ruin dell'Armata " and Torre Bisenzio, an outpost of the Papal States. The Castle was destroyed by Charles VIII in 1465, which still remains of walls and gates of the sun and moon, "Cahen villa in Art Nouveau style in the park owned by the State of Selva di Meana, the church of the XII century restored Castellana 800. To rediscover the traditions, foods and customs of the country tradition, every Wednesday is market day in Allerona, with the usual stalls bearing the fruits of this land.

 

 

The Permanent Exhibition of Pugnaloni

The exhibition features elements that make up the so-called Pugnaloni, photos of themselves and the parade.

The tradition derives from the ancient Pugnaloni prods, sticks fitted at one end of the tip of iron and other scrapers, with whom he incited ibuoi and plow cleaned from the turf.

This is a custom which scholars date back to before Christianity with characteristics of rite.

Over time have been turned into piles adorned with flowers and ribbons at the heart of small wagons on which they are ricostruitescene of rural life. In each wagon is referred to the miracle of S. Isidore (Isidoro Please worked as an Angel in his place). The festival is held every third Sunday of May and also provides a historical procession of the parade with costumes of the nineteenth century.


Free admission.

For Informations please contact:
Mostra permanente dei pugnaloni
Via Roma,5 - Allerona
Phone +39 0763628312 Fax +39 07636261177

 

E-mail This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

 
 E-mail

 

Lake of Bolsena

 

Bolsena Lake is a lake in central Italy only 20 minutes from Orvieto formed over 300,000 years ago following the collapse of the caldera volcanoes in the chain of mountains Volsini. It is the largest volcanic lake in Europe.

It has a shaped oval on its origin, two islands and a river outlet. It has a total area of 113.5 km ² (fifth in Italy), is located 305 m above sea level, has a maximum depth of 151 m and a mean depth of 81 m.

It is located entirely within the province of Viterbo, namely in the north, known as Alta Tuscia. For a considerable part is lapped by the Cassia road, not far from Mount Amiata.

There are numerous tourist facilities, with particular propensity for tourism in contact with nature, and a convenient solution for those who want to discover the art city of the territory as Orvieto.o Viterbo.

 

Also interesting are the islands of Lake Bolsena

 

The island Bisentina


Bisentina The island is the largest lake area (17 ha) and can be circumnavigated by the motorboats that leave from the nearby town of Capodimonte. Keep a nature almost untouched with dense forests dileccio, Italian gardens, beautiful landscapes and monuments. Examples are the Church of Saints James and Christopher, with its impressive dome designed by Vignola, also observed by the western shore of the lake, the Franciscan monastery and villa on the island. There are seven chapels on the island, among whom there are Rocchina (whose name derives from the fact that reproduces, in reduced scale, the rocks on the shore of Capodimonte), the church of Santa Caterina, the Chapel of the Crucifix with frescoes 400. It also recalls the horrible Malta of the Pope, life in prison for digging in the ground to those convicted of heresy with just a small hole for light. You can also find two statues, one monumental lion: a rented on the stairs to the top of Mount Tabor, the other, the largest on the language of the island. You can also admire beautiful bays, the summit of Mount Tabor hill, below which there is an ancient dovecote, the rocky cliffs on the blue of the lake to the east and finally the green on the south side towards the village of Capodimonte. The Etruscans and romanihanno left few traces of their presence on the island. In the ninth century, the inhabitants took refuge in nearby Bisenzio (who named it) was destroyed by the Saracens. In mid-1200 it became the property of the lords of Bisenzio that after disputes with the islanders burned abandoning it. In 1261, Urban IV, who recaptured the island in 1333 was destroyed again daLudovico of Bavaria, who was accused of heresy and excommunicated by the Pope. Properties of the Farnese family in 1400 had a period of great prosperity, he was visited by many popes and the Farnese and was incorporated in the territories of the Duchy of Castro. Returning to the Church in the nineteenth century became the private property of local aristocratic family of the Princes of the Dragon that lived in the castle of Bolsena. The current owner is the Princess Angelica of the Dragon. Here it would be buried in the family tomb, Pier Luigi Farnese, lord of Parma and Piacenza, military leader, discussed by fame.

During World War II, the age-old holm oak near the bridge, hollow inside, was used by the men of the Dragon family and their servants to escape the Germans. It is said that the little Dragon Angelica went to bring food to the refugees.

The island Martana

Opposite the village of Martha, which takes its name, the island Martana would secure the remains of Santa Cristina with the intention to prevent them falling prey to the barbarians. Martana The island was also the center of the tragic history of Amalasunta, queen of the Goths, who took power after the death of Theodoric, after being tricked here on the island was murdered by his cousin Teodato. The island, uninhabited, was once the site of an Augustinian monastery. It is currently privately owned and is therefore not possible to visit.


 
 E-mail

 

Carnaiola, a village of Fabro

 

The earliest records date back to Roman times, when a fort was built near the bridge of the Big Board, a sealed design to limit the effects of floods in the Val di Chiana during the overflow into the Tiber, perhaps on the direct behest of Nero in 65 AD [2 ]. It seems that in this area will join a variant of the Roman road Cassia and Trajan.

At the beginning of the eleventh century there was built a castle for defensive purposes, first inhabited by a certain Philipensibus de Paris and then by members of Monaldeschi and the Congregation of the Barons.

The Baglioni (historian) said that the captain Francesco da Carnaiola attacked Città della Pieve in 1449.

The count of Oratio Marsciano then reworked the castle in the sixteenth century and turned it into palace: the high costs of restructuring forced the heirs to this on the sale.

During the nineteenth century was owned by the Sienese Meoni Buonconvento: lived with them for a time the Count Giovanni Cozza, father of the archaeologist, architect, painter and inventor Adolfo Cozza. Since 1922 belongs to another owner.

The village grew in the fifteenth century along the road to the castle.

Separate municipality until 1869 when it was merged by the municipality at the time was part of the province of Perugia [3].


 

Monuments & Events

 

  • Medieval castle with four corner towers and walls with slits. It contains frescoes of the Mannerist school;
  • Church of the Blessed Vanna, built on the birthplace of the mystic;
  • Church of the Holy Saviour and Severo (XVI century).

 


 
 E-mail

 

Il village of Baschi

 

Old castle, now common (one of the first in Italy), whose tradition it would build at the end of the ninth century by Ugolino or Galino of Biscay, Journal of Charlemagne fell in Italy with Charlemagne, who gave him an old castle (castrum vetus ") on the banks delTevere. Here, Ugolino of Biscay, nicknamed the "Basque", he erected a new castle which he called Basque, by his nickname.

 

Monuments and places of interest


The Basque family, among the most powerful in central Italy, had dominion over more than 60 castles in the area and established, about 3 km from the castle of the Basque Teverina, a large rock with a castle as a magnificent and imposing home of the noble family residential . This fortress is privately owned and is in ruins, is located in the resort flesh, in the village of Tong town of Montecchio.

Of great interest is the parish church of St. Nicholas, built in the second half of the sixteenth century. Keep at it, an altarpiece of Di Paolo (XV century). Basque is also a popular resort in the summer months, from the Romans and tourists.

 

 


 
 E-mail

 

The village of Civita di Bagnoregio and the Valley of the Badlands

 

Situated in a secluded, is only accessible via a pedestrian bridge built of reinforced concrete in 1965 [1]. The bridge can be crossed only on foot, but recently the town of Bagnoregio, to meet the needs of those who live and / or work in this place, has issued a circular stating that, at certain times, residents and authorized persons can cross the bridge to the edge of cycles and motorcycles. The cause of his isolation is the gradual erosion of the hill and the surrounding valley, which has given rise to the typical forms of gullies and that continues today, threatening to wipe out the village, so also called the "dying city"or, more rarely, "the dying town. "

The village is currently inhabited by about fifteen people.

 

History

 

Civita was founded 2500 years ago by the Etruscans. Situated on one of the oldest roads in Italy, joining the Tiber (then great waterway of central Italy) and Lake Bolsena.

The ancient town of Civita was accessed through five doors, but now that the door of Santa Maria or quarry, is the only access to the country. The urban structure of the entire town is of Etruscan origin, consisting of thistles and decumani by use Etruscan and Roman, and the whole coating is medieval and Renaissance architecture. There are numerous testimonies of the Etruscan phase of Civita, especially in the area known as San Francisco old, because the rock below the viewpoint of old San Francisco was found a small Etruscan necropolis. The grotto of St. Bonaventure, which says that St. Francis healed the little John Fidanza, who later became St. Bonaventure, is actually an Etruscan chamber tomb. The Etruscans did Civita (of which we know the ancient name), a thriving city, encouraged by the strategic position for trade, thanks to its proximity to the major routes of the time. Are many testimonies of the Etruscan period: particularly fascinating is the so-called "Bucaioni", a deep tunnel which affects the lower part of the settlement, and allows access directly from the country, the Valley of the Badlands. In the past, were also seen many chamber tombs, excavated at the base of the cliff of Civita and other surrounding walls of tufa which unfortunately was largely swallowed up over the centuries by numerous landslides. Moreover, already the Etruscans themselves had to cope with problems of instability and seismicity of the area, in 280 BC expressed by earthquakes and landslides. Upon arrival of the Romans in 265 BC, were filming the mighty works of channeling of stormwater and containment of streams initiated by the Etruscans.

 

The Monuments of Civita

 

Inside the village are several medieval houses, the church of San Donato, which overlooks the main square, the Bishop's Palace, a mill of the XVI century, the birthplace of St. Bonaventure and the port of Santa Maria, with two lions holding a human head in its paws, in memory of a popular uprising of the inhabitants of Orvieto Civita deiMonaldeschi the family.

In 2005 the town of Bagnoregio Gullies have been proposed as a Site of Community Interest.

 

 

The Valley of the Badlands

 

The valley is located between the ravines of Lake Bolsena in the west and the Tiber valley to the east, in the municipality of Bagnoregio. It consists of two main valleys: the Moat and Moat Cloudy del Rio del Rio Chiaro. Originally, these places had to be sweeter and more accessible and were crossed by an 'old road that connected the Tiber valley to Lake Bolsena.

 

The morphology of this area was caused by erosion and landslides. The territory consists of two distinct formations in chronology and type. The oldest is the clay, of marine origin and is also the road base, particularly prone to erosion. The upper layers are formed by lava and tuffaceous material. The rapid erosion is due to the work of streams, weathering, but also to deforestation.

 

The area of the town of Bagnoregio is not very extensive, but quite heterogeneous. The vegetation of the gullies, because of their clayey nature, is limited to few species, arranged in small and sparse groups. Even in the spring when the flora is the most flourishing, the soil remains mostly uncovered. At the lower end of the badlands is a bushy area, consisting of bushes, reeds, broom, elm and some shrub, sometimes, wild rose. Within the valley, the vegetation consists of woody plants, shrubs and marsh grass. The vegetation of the tuffaceous rocks of the rocky outcrop on which stands Civita, is limited to a few species with low cover.

 

 

 

 

 


 
 E-mail
There are no translations available.

 

Il Paese di Porano

 

Paese circondato da mura medievali, possiede un chiesa parrocchiale con alcuni affreschi di grande valore artistico, fra cui un'Annunciazione del XV secolo e un'acquasantiera di marmo degli inizi del '600. Nel centro storico furono edificati, agli inizi dell'età moderna, (XVI secolo) alcuni pregevoli edifici residenziali.

In particolare, Villa del Corgnolo (detta anche del Cornaro o Corniolo) si trova immersa in uno dei parchi storici di maggiore rilievo dell'Umbria. A partire da un preesistente impianto di monastero medievale, la nobile famiglia orvietana dei Gualterio, nel 1706, trasformò la proprietà in sede di villeggiatura estiva di prelati. Per questo la villa fu anche denominata ‘villa dei sette cardinali’ e tutt'oggi conserva uno spazio esterno denominato ‘rotonda dei cardinali’.

Una lapide presente sulla facciata posteriore testimonia che nella villa, in virtù degli stretti legami che il cardinale Filippo Antonio Gualterio intratteneva con la casa reale britannica, i Gualterio ospitarono nel giugno del 1723 Giacomo III d'Inghilterra. Più tardi, nell’Ottocento, fu ospite anche la principessa di Savoia. Ciò, insieme a quanto si può desumere dai lunghi inventari degli arredi redatti nel1741, che rilevavano la presenza di ricche mobilie, statue e biblioteche, suggerisce quale grande splendore dovette conoscere questo elegante luogo di svago. Nel 1874, il senatore Filippo Antonio Gualterio, discendente dell'omonimo cardinale ed esponente di primo piano del Risorgimento, oltre che ministro del Regno d’Italia, fu costretto a vendere la proprietà a causa delle grandi spese sostenute per fini politici.

La villa, in seguito all’acquisto da parte della famiglia Viti Mariani, mutò la denominazione in Villa Paolina, dal nome della nuova proprietaria Paolina Viti. La villa è oggi sede dell'Istituto di biologia agro-ambientale e forestale del Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche.

Il paese è noto perché qui risiede da diversi anni la scrittrice Susanna Tamaro.

 


 
<< Start < Prev 1 2 Next > End >>

Page 1 of 2

Table reservations at Vinosus

Reserve your table now.

 

Contact us at: 

Tel: 0763 -341907 Cell: 349 3253087


Or send an email for Booking or for more informations



Territory Map of Orvieto area